1997 Year in Review:
Upcoming Brazilian vert skater extraordinaire Bob Burnquist is Thrasher's Skater of the Year.
Bob Burnquist, éS Down Under Promo
The éS Spring line adds Eric Koston's first-ever pro model skate shoe, the Koston (the first-ever pro model with an air system, plus an exposed polyurethane midsole), plus the Clarion, the Diva, the Slint, the SLB '97, the Sonata and the Zel.
A young skater living on the streets, Muska will go on to leave a permanent footprint in the skateboarding landscape. From living on his own at age 16 to building his own empire, Muska and his many-faceted talents are first recognized by éS.
Skateboarding is amazed by Paul Sharpe and his ability jump onto or over anything in his path.
- The Simpsons surpasses The Flintstones as the longest-running prime-time animated series.
- Thirty-nine bodies are found in the Heaven's Gate cult suicide.
- A Pegasus rocket carries the remains of 24 people into Earth orbit for the first-ever space burial.
- NASA's Pathfinder space probe lands on the surface of Mars.
- Mayo Clinic researchers warn that the dieting drug Fen-Phen can cause severe heart and lung damage.
- 185,000 Teamsters Union United Parcel Service drivers go on strike.
- Diana, Princess of Wales dies in a car crash.