2010 Year in Review:
éS celebrates 15 Years Skated with Japan’s Sonik Distribution at Harajuku Cafe in Tokyo and launches a new vastly expanded timeline with an ad and video archive. éS owner Pierre Andre gives Sneaker Freaker the lowdown on the brand’s 15 years.
éS welcomes Kevin Terpening and Jimmy McDonald to the team. Kevin is a solid dude and we are happy to have him around. He has something about him that makes you think he's been skating since the early ’80s. Jimmy is a modest, focused, humble, bearded man, oozing with skateboarding talent. It's an honor to have them on board look for more in 2011.
To Europe With Love Tour
The éS team goes To Europe With Love from May 30 - June 12, visiting skateparks in the United Kingdom, France and Spain to tear them to pieces:
To Europe With Love coverage
- éS To Europe With Love Tour Update
- Video From Sidewalk Magazine
- More Pics From the Road
- Update From Thrasher
- Update From Sidewalk
- Plymouth Demo Footage
- Edinburgh Footage
- Slam City Skates
South By Southeast Tour
The éS team follows that up with a jaunt through the Dirty South from August 7-21 on the South By Southeast Tour:
South By Southeast Tour coverage
- South By Southeast Tour
- The Road to South By Southeast
- Baton Rouge Day 1
- Baton Rouge to Ft. Walton Beach
- Atlanta Day 1
- Atlanta Day 2
- Raleigh / Durham Day 1
- Raleigh / Durham Day 2
- North Carolina to Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach
- Day of Driving
- Nashville Day 1
- Virginia Beach Tour Teaser
- Nashville Day 2
- Nashville Day 3
- Slap Tour Article
éS Tour After Tour
Right after that, the éS team is back at it again from September 6-18 on the éS Tour After Tour to the Northeast:
éS Tour After Tour coverage
- Buffalo Day 1
- Buffalo Day 2
- Buffalo to New Jersey
- New Jersey
- Wilmington / Philadelphia
- Wilmington to Baltimore to DC
- Washington DC
- Wheeling to Indianapolis
- Indianapolis Day 1
- éS Team at NJ Skate Shop Demo
- Indianapolis Day 2
- Indianapolis to Chicago
- Chicago Day 1
- Chicago to Milwaukee
In the contest arena, Alexis Sablone wins a gold medal at X Games 16 in Los Angeles, California; and Felipe Gustavo skates his way to a huge victory at the Maloof Money Cup Am contest in Queens, New York.
The éS team racks up a crazy amount of coverage throughout the year! Rick McCrank appears in Beauty and the Beast 2, scores an interview in Caught in the Crossfire, shows off his worldly possessions and knows pivots to fakies.
Rodrigo Tx. releases a banging part in LRG’s first full-length video, Give Me My Money Chico, lands a Gold Wheels commercial, runs through 10 Years + 10 Questions with éS, sits down for a chat with Kenny Bloggins, and completes another interview with The Skateboard Mag. Justin Eldridge blasts a Crailtap Clip, while Cale Nuske does the same for Picture Wheels. Javier Sarmiento joins SK8MAFIA and gets a video retrospective, while Bobby Worrest gets interviewed about Krooked.
John Rattray scores the covers of Color and Sidewalk mags, a "Words of Wisdom" in Kingpin issue 76, an éS Behind the Ad interview, and an Elwood Artist Reel. He also plays the role of a news anchor in a trailer for EA Skate 3, launches The Predatory Bird, and goes on the Zero Southeast tour.
Mike Anderson turns pro, claims the cover and interview in the March issue of Skateboarder, an interview in TransWorld Skateboarding the same month, and a New Jack in the June issue of The Skateboard Mag--and don't forget about his éS Behind the Ad interview. In video land, he lands a Matix clip and a Fuel TV commercial.
Kelly Hart lands an interview on ESPN, and TransWorld Skateboarding posts his full-part from LRG's Give Me My Money Chico video, while Kevin Terpening gets a Contenders and a Mag Minute in The Skateboard Mag.
Jimmy McDonald gets questioned on ESPN, while Ben Raemers gets the same treatment from Scuba Steve and Thrasher’s Firing Line. He also appears in the Tiltmode zine and shows you some new tricks. Last but not least, Kellen James does a Gold Wheels commercial, Tony Karr gets Checked Out by TransWorld Skateboarding and lands a Who’s Hot in Skateboarder, and Kevin Romar gets cornered by ESPN.
Rick McCracnk and John Rattray appear in Machotaildrop, a fantastical adventure-comedy movie in which skateboarding is not a trivial pastime, but a noble pursuit of the highest cultural recognition. In this strangely beautiful world, professional skateboarders live like knights in baroque castles, the halfpipe is their jousting arena, and concrete streets the forums for their Machiavellian tricks. The movie racks up a bunch of coverage:
- ESPN (Corey Adams and Alex Craig interview)
- éS (Rick McCrank in Machotaildrop)
- Vice (Corey Adams interview)
- éS (London Premiere)
- Huck Magazine (John Rattray and Rick McCrank interview)
- Caught in the Crossfire (London Premiere)
- éS (Los Angeles Premiere)
- éS (Award Winner)
- Leanne Pedersen
Introducing the Square Two, great for tech tricks, great for gnarly tricks, great for swinging clubs, great for running in weird places, great for moving Atiba's flashes, great for kickflips and much more.
And here's the Square Two Kellen James + SK8MAFIA colorway, featuring clean sidewalls and a one-piece toe cap to provide a new take on the vulcanized team favorite. Broken in right out of the box.
- The tallest man-made building to date, the 2,717 foot Burj Khalifa in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, is officially opened.
- A 7.0-magnitude earthquake occurs in Haiti, devastating the nation's capital, Port-au-Prince, with a confirmed death toll over 230,000.
- An 8.8-magnitude earthquake occurs in Chile, triggering a tsunami over the Pacific Ocean and killing 497. The earthquake is one of the largest in recorded history.
- The Deepwater Horizon oil platform explodes in the Gulf of Mexico, killing 11 workers. The resulting oil spill, one of the largest in history, spreads for several months, damaging the Gulf and the United States coastline.
- Protests in Bangkok, Thailand end with a bloody military crackdown, killing 91 and injuring more than 2,100.
- Thirty-three miners near Copiapó, Chile, trapped 700 metres underground in a mining accident in San José Mine, are brought back to the surface after surviving for a record 69 days.
- A stampede during Bon Om Thook (Khmer Water Festival) celebrations in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, kills 347.
- Wikileaks, an online publisher of anonymous, covert, and classified material, leaks to the public a collection of more than 250,000 American diplomatic cables, including 100,000 marked "secret" or "confidential."
- NASA announces the discovery of a new arsenic-based life form in California, in sharp contrast to all other life on Earth, which is carbon-based.