2008 Year in Review:
The éS team trots around the globe to sign, demo and film, starting off the year with the éS in the U.A.E. trip to Dubai, United Arab Emirates; followed by the éS Goes East: Japan Tour; and last but not least, their first-ever proper tour of the whole United States called the You, éS, Eh? Tour.
Bobby Worrest wins second place at the Lord of the Lines contest at the ASR trade show, scores a prestigious Inside the Actor's Studio interview and attends a shoe release party at Pitcrew for his éS + Krooked Square One colorway.
On the contest circuit, Nyjah Huston wins second place at the Maloof Money Cup, where éS flow rider Lacey Baker grabs first in the girls' division, and Rick McCrank helps carry the Regulars to victory at the fifth annual GvR.
éS rules the magazine world in 2008 with expansive features on the Take éS to Your Spots tour in the July issue of The Skateboard Mag and the éS in the U.A.E. tour in the Summer issue of Rage and the August issue of The Skateboard Mag, Silas Baxter-Neal covers in the January issues of TransWorld and Slap plus interviews with him in Issue 6.2 of Color and Racket, a four-page mini-interview with Rick McCrank in the March issue of Thrasher plus an ad he did for PETA, an interview with Nyjah Huston in the July issue of Skateboarder, interviews with Bobby Worrest and Cale Nuske in the September issue of The Skateboard Mag, interviews with Bobby and Danny Garcia in the TransWorld Buyer's Guide, and a New Jack interview with Austyn Gillette in the November issue of The Skateboard Mag.
éS unleashes a slew of special collaboration and limited-edition shoes in 2008, including the Habitat Collection, featuring a Raymond Molinar colorway of the Square One, a Silas Baxter-Neal colorway of the Cessna and a Habitat colorway of the Garcia 2; the Adrian Blanca Collection, featuring the Accel TT L and TT Deluxe; a Scuba Steve colorway of the Square One; a "I Heart Lee Matasi" colorway of the Avers; Bobby Worrest colorways of the Square One and Prequel Mid; and a special Chocolate colorway of the Theory 1.5.
- Stock markets around the world plunge amid growing fears of a U.S. recession, fueled by the 2007 sub-prime mortgage crisis.
- Rising food and fuel prices trigger riots and unrest in the Third World.
- An exploding star halfway across the visible universe becomes the farthest known object ever visible to the naked eye.
- Over 133,000 in Burma/Myanmar are killed by Cyclone Nargis, the deadliest natural disaster since the Boxing Day Tsunami in 2004.
- Over 69,000 are killed in central Southwest China by the Chengdu Earthquake.
- After three decades as the Chairman of Microsoft Corporation, Bill Gates steps down from daily duties to concentrate on philanthropy.
- Swimmer Michael Phelps surpasses Mark Spitz in Olympic gold medals won at a single Olympics, with eight gold medals.
- Pirates repeatedly hijack cargo ships off the coast of Somalia.
- A Metrolink train collides head-on into a freight train in Los Angeles, California, killing 25 and injuring 130.
- Global financial crisis: As the world plunges into the worst recession since the 1930s, U.S. President George W. Bush signs the revised Emergency Economic Stabilization Act into law, creating a 700 billion dollar treasury fund to purchase failing bank assets.
- The largest three U.S. automakers--General Motors, Ford and Chrysler--seek multi-billion dollar loans from the government to avoid bankruptcy.
- The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the world's largest subatomic particle accelerator, is officially inaugurated.
- Delta Airlines merges with Northwest Airlines, forming the world's largest commercial carrier.
- Barack Obama is elected the 44th President of the United States, and also the first African-American President.
- Frozen water is found on Mars.
- Riots spread across Greece after a 15-year-old boy is killed from a gunshot wound inflicted by a special guard of the Greek police.