2001 Year in Review:
After witnessing firsthand Paul Rodriguez's incredible rollerplank talents, Eric Koston takes him under his wing and introduces Paul to the world of professional skateboarding by adding him to the éS Team.
Arto Saari is Thrasher's Skater of the Year
Following on the heels of his Flip video part, there is no questioning the fact that Arto Saari should receive the coveted SOTY award. éS congratulates Arto with a nice gift in the form of a vintage Vespa scooter.
éS team rider Bob Burnquist becomes the first-ever skateboarder to skate through a loop switch-stance at Tampa Pro.
- The Federal Trade Commission approves the merger of AOL and Time Warner to form AOL Time Warner.
- Wikipedia goes online.
- George W. Bush succeeds Bill Clinton as President of the United States after prevailing over Al Gore in the disputed U.S. presidential election of 2000.
- NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt is killed on the last lap of the Daytona 500.
- The United States executes Timothy McVeigh for the Oklahoma City Bombing.
- August 6: George W. Bush is informed in his President's Daily Brief that Osama bin Laden is determined to strike targets within the United States and that the FBI believes activity consistent with preparations for hijacking U.S. airplanes is underway.
- Approximately 3,000 people are killed in the September 11, 2001 Terrorist Attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, The Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, and rural Shanksville, Pennsylvania.
- Apple Computer releases its now famous iPod.
- American Airlines Flight 587 crashes minutes after takeoff from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, killing all 260 onboard.
- Enron files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.